I love to make this recipe at my house. It is very easy, uses very little preparation, and tastes so good! Prepare this next to some wild rice and sweet carrots and you will have one happy family.
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemons
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 c green olives, pitted and halved
- 1 c chicken stock
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1.2 tsp crushed red pepper
1. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. In two batches, sear the chicken, skin side first, until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
2. Cut the lemons in half lengthwise, and then into thin slices crosswise. If the skillet is dry, add more oil. On low heat, add the onions and garlic and cook until soft, but not brown, about 4 minutes. Stir in lemon slices, olives, stock and 2 c water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
3. Put the chicken back into the pan on top of the vegetables, pour in any accumulated juices from the plate, and sprinkle with thyme and red pepper flakes. Cover, and simmer until the chicken is just cooked through, about 15 minutes. **Remember to make sure a thermometer inserted into the middle of the chicken reads 165 degrees.** ENJOY!!