Let's get started...
- 1 lb. ground beef (you can also use pork or turkey if you prefer)
- 1 small white onion (coarsely chopped)
- 1 med bell pepper (seeds removed, chopped)
- 1-28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. steak seasoning (I use Harley's)
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- white bread
- shredded cheddar cheese
1. Brown the meat in a hot saute pan. I use a deep dish saute pan so I can finish the entire meal in it. Break the meat up with a wooden spoon (can also be plastic) so the meat cooks quickly and evenly. Using a slotted spoon drain the meat onto a plate covered with a paper towel. This allows some of the grease to drain a little.
2. In the same pan the meat was just in add the onion and bell pepper and sweat a little, about 5 min. Real quick...an easy way that I like to chop bell peppers is to cut around the middle seed pods. This way I don't have to use my hands to pull seeds out and cleanup is a lot easier.
3. Add the meat back into the pan with the onion and peppers and heat up a little. Add the next three ingredients and let simmer for a while...about 5 min. Now is time to taste! I would recommend adding a small amount of salt and pepper before and then just check for seasoning.
4. Here I usually cover the pan and let it simmer for about 15 min. Just like a good soup, or stew this helps the ingredients to marry together.
5. Now the fun part!! Place one piece (or two like my husband) of white bread down on your plate. Smother the bread with at least two spoonfuls of the sloppy joe mixture. Top with shredded cheese.
**As you can see from the finished product we like to enjoy our meal with some yummy green beans (out of the can, of course). ENJOY!!