Tuesday, January 17, 2012

BLT Cobb Salad

I'm back!!  I went on a little hiatus over the holiday mainly because with the kids all being home I didn't have a lot of time to write.  Plus, with the busy schedules comes eating out a lot and not so much cooking.  I have decided to start off easy this first post with a salad.  I know some of you may not think of salad as a main dish, but if it's served at our house, it usually is.  This is my husband's favorite salad and I can get the kids to eat most of it, so it's a real winner. 

A few things first...  Normally, and in this case, a salad is about cutting things up and throwing them on top of lettuce.  This salad does, however, have one ingredient that, for some people, is a little difficult.  So, I want to show you how I tackle it:

The one ingredient I am referring to is the avocado.  There are a lot of tools out there now for this little green fruit, but I like to stick with the basics...a knife and a spoon.  First, you take the avocado and turn it upright where the smaller end is pointing up.  Then take your knife and slice the avocado in half turning it all the way around the seed. 


Now, take the knife out and hold the avocado like you would a football with the cut part in between your thumbs and twist in opposite directions.  This should release one side of your avocado from the seed so you will now have two pieces. 

Next, it's time to take out the seed.  This can be very dangerous, so please be careful.  I like to hold the avocado half in a folded up towel, so if my knife should slip it hits that first and not me. 

Now, hold the avocado, seed up, in the hand you are not using the knife with.  Take the knife and press down with gentle force to cut slightly into the seed.  Then, give it a little twist and it should slide right out.  The more ripe your avocado, the simpler this should be, so if you are nervous, don't buy a hard avocado.  Also, if you don't want to try this use one of those tools I told you about. 




Lastly, still holding that avocado, take your knife and make a criss-cross pattern into the fruit.  Then, take that spoon I was talking about and scoop out the meat of the avocado.  Finished! 

























Let's get on to the recipe:

  • 2 1/2-3 c lettuce (this can be heads of lettuce cut up, or the bagged stuff)
  • 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
  • 1/4 c crumbed blue cheese
  • 2 tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 cucumber, chopped
  • 1/2 package bacon, cooked and crumbled
  • 1 bunch scallions, sliced thin
  • 1/2 c shredded chicken
  • 1/2 c frozen corn kernels, defrosted
  • 1 avocado, chopped

1.  Lay out the lettuce on a serving plate, or in a big salad bowl.  Pour the balsamic over the lettuce and mix it all together. 



2.  With each ingredient, lay them carefully side by side on top of the lettuce. 






3.  Serve just like this with any salad dressing of your choice.  In my house, we like to use Ranch.  ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment